Call for testing Cygwin snapshot (problem with inode numbers)

Fri Dec 2 11:14:00 GMT 2005

On Dec  1 15:38, Peter Rehley wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >On Dec  1 13:01, Peter Rehley wrote:
> >>  It only appears to be a problem
> >>when I have a mac os x share mounted to a drive on windows.    When I
> >>try with a windows share or a linux share I don't seem to have the
> >>problem.
> >>
> >>The problem that I'm seeing is that the inode value isn't unique when
> >>listing a directory (or using any program that uses the inode value).
> >
> >Do I understand you right that this only happens for directories?  The
> >normal file inodes are looking ok?
> No, it also happens for files too.

$%^&

> >The output of both tests might be helpful.
> Output is attached.

Well, the volume information looks exactly as usual for a remote Samba
drive.

The problem is, that your Samba version apparently screws up the inode
information and we have re-enabled using the inode numbers sent from
remote file systems which are supposed to be capable of that.  For this
we use the HAS_PERSISTENT_ACLS property.

What Samba version is your Mac OS X using?  I'm using 3.0.20a for which
the inode information is useable.  Is Samba a part of the OS packages or
did you install it from an external source?  Is it a rather old one?
Can you upgrade?  The problem is that there's no way for us to distinguish
between a newer and an older version of Samba.  I would rather not lose
the inode information when available.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.