Cygwin Time Machine

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Wed Jan 26 21:22:00 GMT 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:58:18PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Actually, I think this is a neat idea.  I tried to do something like it
> >for personal use about 18 months ago -- I wanted a one-time snapshot of
> >the cygwin-1.3.x baseline just prior to the 1.5.x transition.
> >
> >But I waited too long (e.g. after packages which required 1.5.x had
> >"polluted" the server), and couldn't untangle "what was old/what was
> >new" well enough for my taste.  So I gave up.
> >
> >Your mechanism is much better.  I, too, hope you don't regret it. :-)
>
> While I think it is a nifty idea too (I actually used this yesterday), I
> suspect that we'll all have some heartburn over this as people stumble
> onto it, try to "update" their distro to older versions and end up with
> bloody stumps where their feet used to be.

Well, I do warn people not taunting Happy-Fun Ball :)

Seriously, the "time machine" should be used prudently.  I am beefing up
the doc (which no-one ever reads, right? :) to try and head off as many
problems as possible.  Knowledge is power.

And, I humbly offer free antacids and bandages to everyone on the list
who suffers at the hands (feet?) of the time machine.

> However, because I'm a masochist, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good
> idea to advertise this as "cygwin news" on the front page of
> http://cygwin.com/.

Gosh, Chris, I'm flattered you'd consider it news worthy (well,
flattered, shocked, amazed and confused...no, wait, "confused" is my
normal state of being :).  Obviously it's up to you all.

> Also, (oh boy, what fun!) it would be nice if snapshots were archived, too.

Hmm... I think I can do that too.  Lemme look into it.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>