displaying Windows program on Linux via ssh / X?

Jacek Piskozub piskozub@iopan.gda.pl
Thu Jun 16 16:11:00 GMT 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at mch dot one dot pl> wrote:

>I couldn't find it on Google and I feel it's a different thing than
>running Linux X applications (like xterm etc.), which is done by Cygwin/X.
>

> Is it possible to "display" Windows program on Linux via ssh / X?
>
> What I mean, normally we do something like that:
>
>windows_cygwin$ ssh -l user linuxbox -X
>linuxbox$ xterm
>

> and we start xterm on Linux, but it is displayed by a Windows X server.
>
>I want to do something in an opposite direction: start Windows apps on
>Linux display:

Well, if the target host is a dual boot Windows + Linux box, it is
possible using ssh -X together with wine.

I just did that from WindowsME into another Windows box running Linux at
the time. I used Cygwin (weel, this mailing list is about Cygwin, isn't it?)
 From Windows prompt:

bash
startx
ssh -x target_host
cd /wherever_your_C_disk_is/windows
wine freecel.exe

A nice screenshot of remotely run Freecell is here:
http://www.iopan.gda.pl/~piskozub/freecell-from-Linux-thru-cygwin-and-X-on-WinME.jpg

Of course I could start from Linux but that would have nothing to do
with this mailinig list, would it?

Regards,

Jacek

--
"Microsoft tried to create products that even a fool could use, but they ended up with something that only a fool would want to use."
             F.W. van Wensveen, 2004