4GB limit on FAT32

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Thu Jun 16 18:13:00 GMT 2005

Oliver Vecernik wrote:

> I misunderstood a statement in a forum. There seems to be no really
> platform independant file system without those limitations. There is no
> write support for NTFS under Linux and ext2/ext3 write support under
> Windows is also not supported (at least open source). I also had a look
> at FreeBSD, but the same situation with UFS2.

There is another option, captive-NTFS.  It uses Microsoft's own native
NTFS driver (with glue code from ReactOS and WINE) to enable full
read/write support under linux.  It's completely open source and free,
presuming that you have windows installed on the partition and have a
valid license for it.  (And if you don't have windows, why do you care
about NTFS?)  Failing that, there is an option to download a particular
service pack from microsoft.com and unpack the ntfs.sys file.

This is off topic for the cygwin list, obviously.

Brian