sshd and /usr/bin/zsh

Martin Vetter Martin.Vetter@ilink.de
Tue Jun 21 15:02:00 GMT 2005

hi,

>> -  zsh as login shell for non-administrator = login via sshd hangs (!)
>> - bash as login shell for non-administrator = login via sshd works
>> fine
>> -  zsh as login shell for the administrator = login via sshd works
>> fine
>> workaround: use cygwin1.dll release 1.5.14,
>
> There's a far better way:
> Go a step forward instead of three steps back.
> Try the latest snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/.
> I just tried to use zsh as login shell
> from an ssh session and guess what? It works.

i tried it, but cygwin1-20050617.dll doesn't work, too.

btw, the unsuccessful login via zsh produces a error message window:
"zsh.exe - Application Error: The application failed to
  initialize properly (0xc0000022). Click OK to terminate the
application."

i didn't notice this before, because my
cygwin box is normally running without monitor or mouse.
and i did a quick "chmod -R a+X /", with no effect.

>> hope this helps.[...]
>
> Nearly as much as telling us that it works on Linux.

sorry to hear that ...

i tried to get strace to follow sshd during the ssh connection attempt,
but the child ssh process isn't traced for some reason.
i attached the (incomplete) strace logs, as well as 'cygcheck -svr'
for both cygwin releases in question

thank you for your help :o)

martin