Using -mno-cygwin flag

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Wed May 4 17:19:00 GMT 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 12:53:26PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> * Brian Dessent <oevna@qrffrag.arg> [2005-05-04 03:00:37 -0700]:
>>
>> -mno-cygwin does not just "make things that doesn't depend on the
>> cygwin DLL", it removes Cygwin from the equation entirely.
>
>this is very unfortunate, actually.  things like berkeley-db,
>postgresql, pcre &c all have a native win32 port, and it it a pity that
>-mno-cygwin does not use them.

If you want to use mingw versions of berkeley-db, posgresql, pcre, etc.,
then go ahead and install those versions.  -mno-cygwin is not so magic
as to ignore correctly installed libraries.  You just have to put the
libraries and headers in locations that are searched when -mno-cygwin
is used.  Those locations are distinct from the locations used when
-mno-cygwin is not provided -- for frighteningly obvious reasons.

"/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/include" and "/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/lib" would be
the place to put the headers/libraries.

/usr/include/mingw is also searched for the header files.  I don't
remember if /usr/local/lib/mingw is searched for library files.

cgf