emacs (21.2-13) freezing with cygwin 1.5.21-2

Thu Aug 10 19:43:00 GMT 2006

On 08/10/2006, Eric Twietmeyer wrote:

> > > no extra

> > > cygwin.dll release

> > > thumb-print

> > > been able
> > > remains the same).

> > > never used gdb
> > > environment
> > > there is a
> > > conjunction with emacs.
> > >

> > > Has anyone having this problem looked at whether it's related
> > > to previously reported problems like:
> > >
> > > <http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-05/msg00790.html>
> > >
> > > ?
> > >

> It doesn't seem to be related, as I don't have any of these devices
> installed on my box.  I thought it might be related to some McAfee virus
> checking service running on my machine, and disabled it, but the freeze
> still occurred.  Again, after backing out to 1.5.18, emacs is now stable,
> and I have made no other changes to my system.

Just so it's clear, just disabling most virus scanners is not enough to
eliminate them as a contributing factor.  That's because they install
themselves into the network stack.  The only way to be sure you're not
getting problems related to the scanners is to uninstall and retry.  I
don't know whether McAfee causes problems in this regard myself.

Holliston, MA 01746