Color Schemes

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Thu Aug 31 18:33:00 GMT 2006

George wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 09:44:51AM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>> AFAIUI, the mapping of escape codes to which visual colours they mean
>>> is utterly fixed by ANSI, and it is, as you say, the termulator's job
>>> to display the correct visual colour. We could attempt in cygwin's
>>> console-handling code to look up the current console's current
>>> palette and attempt some kind of best-fit matching, at least in
>>> theory, but there's still the old SHTDI problem there....
>> [...] and I am not aware of any way to examine the terminal's
>> "palette", nor should you need to. If a user wants to fiddle with
>> these, it is his responsibility to keep things legible.
>
> Huh?
>
> $ grep color ~/.Xdefaults
> *color0:        #000000
> *color1:        #D1BFB1
> *color2:        #99CCCC
> *color3:        #C8B27F
> *color4:        #8DB6CD
> *color5:        #CC99CC
> *color6:        #A8A8D9
> *color7:        #7697A7
> *color8:        #000000
> *color9:        #80A0B0
> *color10:       #99CCCC
> *color11:       #40677A
> *color12:       #8DB6CD
> *color13:       #CC99CC
> *color14:
> *color15:       #87CEFF
> *colorBD:       #8DB6CD
> *colorUL:       #C8B27F
> *cursorColor:   #84A9A9
>
> Or am I missing something?

Sure. Now do it for Konsole (hint: DCOP *might* let you), CUI, Console,
rxvt, PuTTY, and every other terminal emulator in existence.

What you found is the *default* colors for *one* emulator (what happens
if you override them with command-line switches?). Dave and I were
talking about being able to query the terminal emulator in a
standardized way, and I am pretty sure there is no such way.

--
Matthew
We apologize for the inconvenience.