bash longjmp issue

Mon Dec 18 01:09:00 GMT 2006

K Kafka wrote:
> On 12/17/06, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> K Kafka wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have been looking around for a possible cause for my problem with
>> > bash. I left a "tail -f" running for a few days. When I came back,
>> > none of the service would run anymore (cygsrv, exim, sshd). After a
>> > bit of researching I've come accross quite a few posts but nothing
>> > concrete.
>> >
>> > It seems that bash.exe is crashing with a WFSO longjmp error after the
>> > 5min timeout. Preventing everything else. From some posts, it seems it
>> > could be coming from a device (webcam) or a software such as the
>> > anti-virus. I have almost nothing installed on this machine aside from
>> > MySQL and Tomcat5. Its a Xeon server running Windows 2003 server.
>> >
>> > Here is the actual error for bash.
>> > C:\cygwin\bin>      4 [main] bash 3376 C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: ***
>> > fatal error -  WFSO timed out after longjmp
>> >
>> > Some people have been suggesting to try a rebaseall. Same thing
>> > happens, I get two errors, a fhandler_base::fork_fixup immediately and
>> > an WFSO longjmp error after 5 min.
>> >
>> > Here are the errors:
>> > C:\cygwin\bin>      4 [main] ash 1328 fhandler_base::fork_fixup:
>> > /bin/rebaseall - Win32 error 5, handle io_handle<0x0>
>> >
>> > C:\cygwin\bin>      4 [main] ash 1856 C:\cygwin\bin\ash.exe: *** fatal
>> > error - WFSO timed out after longjmp
>> >
>> > I've also updated cygwin to the latest version and reinstalled bash
>> > and cygsrv. No changes, same errors.
>> >
>> > If someone has an idea, please let me know. I'm at a loss and can't
>> > figure what to do next.
>>

>> Let's start here:
>>
>> > Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>

>> You've given us some information about what you see and when but we're
>> missing allot of specifics about your configuration and a possible test
>> case (or cases).  I'd recommend any follow-up posting to this list
>> contain the additional information outlined at the above web page.
>>
 > Hi again,
 >
 > Sorry about the lack of background info. Let's try to correct it. I've
 > attached the cygcheck output  and realized that there is a series of
 > "not found" that includes bash. Also, I was unfortunately not able to
 > reproduce a problem on another sytem.
 >
 > When double clicking on the cygwin icon (or launching bash --login -i
 > from the windows command line), the window hangs blank for 5 minutes
 > and then disappear. In the case of the windows command line, after a
 > few minutes it outputs the following error reported earlier:
 >
 > C:\cygwin\bin>bash.exe --login -i
 > C:\cygwin\bin>      4 [main] bash 3376 C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe:
 > ***fatal error -  WFSO timed out after longjmp
 >
 > There is a few related records in the Windows Application Event Viewer:
 > - Faulting application id.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module
 > cygwin1.dll, version 1005.22.0.0, fault address 0x0000365f.
> [...]

Yep, that's good.  Looks like your installation didn't complete, probably
because you didn't stop your services before updating.  I'd suggest rebooting,
if you have not already since installing.  Otherwise, I'd recommend running
'setup.exe' again and allow it to just run with the packages you have
already selected.  This will run the postinstall scripts, which seem
to have not run the last time.  If that still doesn't work, look in
'/etc/postinstall' and look for scripts that don't have the suffix '.done'.
You'll want to run each of these manually with 'c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe'.
That's what rerunning 'setup.exe' should do for you but doing so manually
should give you more info about any problems.  You can also look in
'/var/log/setup.log.full' for diagnostic messages that were generated by
'setup.exe' the last time you ran it.  This should give you some information
about what postinstall scripts had complaints.

Holliston, MA 01746