ls: reading directory /cygdrive/c: No such file or directory

Thu Dec 21 12:40:00 GMT 2006

On Dec 21 10:48, Michael Baierl wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> >Can you please run `strace -o ls.trace ls /cygdrive/c' and send the
> >ls.trace file as attachment to your reply, together with the output
> >of `cacls C:\\'?  This might help to figure out what happens.
>
> Sure,
> here we go.
>
> bash-3.2$ cacls C:\\
> C:\ BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
>     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
>     CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
>     BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)R
>     BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(special access:)
>                       FILE_APPEND_DATA
>
>     BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(IO)(special access:)
>                           FILE_WRITE_DATA
>
>     Everyone:R

Ok, these are the standard permissions on a stock XP install.

>   468   68522 [main] ls 4128 fhandler_disk_file::opendir: 0x6758C8 = opendir (/cygdrive/c)
>   231   68753 [main] ls 4128 geterrno_from_win_error: windows error 2 == errno 2
>    46   68799 [main] ls 4128 fhandler_disk_file::readdir: 0 = readdir (0x6758C8, 0x22C6D4) (.)
>    83   68882 [main] ls 4128 geterrno_from_win_error: windows error 2 == errno 2

This is weird.  Opening the directory works fine, but when it tries
to read the directory it gets a strange "no such file" error message.
This does not happen on my stock XP test system.  I can enumerate the
directory content just fine.

I'm missing a bit more information in our strace output at this point.
So I created a new snapshot which adds debug output here.  Could you
please (temporarily) replace your DLL with the DLL from the latest
developer snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ , rerun
`strace -o ls.trace ls /cygdrive/c' and send the new strace output?

If I might venture a guess.  This is not a generic permission problem or
some sort of obvious bug in Cygwin, otherwise it should be reproducible
on my machine.  So the usual question applies here:  Are you running some
firewall-, anti-virus-, or Logitech web cam software?  See the mailing
list archives for how certain products interact badly with Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat