ssh and SYSTEM

L Anderson lowella@serv.net
Thu Jun 29 00:31:00 GMT 2006

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, L Anderson wrote:
>

>>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>Nicholas Fong (nfong@xxxxxxxx.xxx) is the person responsible for those instructions.
>>
>>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Perhaps a new Cygwin acronym is in order--something like:
>>
>>PDPSHFIYR--Please Don't Put Spam Harvester Food In Your Replies.
>

> Or, in other words, PDP-6 (which had a whopping 256 kilowords of main
> memory, more than enough to run spam harvester software).

Ah yes, PDP-SEX. Its memory was probably made in the Hong Kong Core Houses.

> There is a sort of poetic justice in including that email address in the
> message.  Since Mr. Fong's broken instructions on installing ssh caused so
> much "spam" to be sent to this list, it's only fair that some will now go
> his way...  Also, the lucky ones that do get chastized for using his
> directions are set on the right path by the people on this list, but think
> of all the hapless souls blissfully unaware of the error of their ways
> that continue to run ssh according to those instructions (until something
> breaks, that is).
> 	Igor

Interesting! Was PDP-SEX used to inject spaminations?  I was not aware
of Mr. Fong's foibles. The bastard--because of him, they've spammed
Lenny!  He deserves what he gets!

So am I to conclude Fong's email addy was exposed intentionally?

LA