Cygwin not functioning on laptop

Mon Jan 1 03:42:00 GMT 2007

std05073@di.uoa.gr wrote:
> Hi, I am a proud user of Cygwin, mainly use it for
> programming with c. I recently got a laptop (acer Aspire 9424, intel core 2 duo
> 1,83GHZ, geforce go 3700 256mb, 2 gb ddr2) and installed on it the default
> Cygwin dll 1.5.23-2 along with the packages Devel, Doc, Editors, Math, Shells
> ("C:\asi")
> When I first hit the cygwin icon, the command prompt
> showed me this:
>
> 3 [main] bash 2604 fork_copy: linked dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x5BD00G .
> .0x5BD020, done 0, windows pid 2616, Uin32 error 487
> bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> bash-3.00$
>
> No command works. Normally It should have created a home folder ("manos") but it
> didn' t. I created a "home" folder  and a "manos" folder in it and copied all
> files from "C:\asi\etc\defaults\etc\skel" to "C:\asi\home\manos".
> After that cygwin sometimes functions (does not  show error, pops manos@manos~
> ,as it always should normally) - commands like ls,cd,nano work- but it usually
> doesn' t.
>
> I am looking forward  for help  .

<snip>

> Warning: There are multiple cygwin1.dlls on your path

Well, your cygcheck output warns that you have multiple cygwin1.dlls in your
path.  That seems to be true since there's are 3 different places that
cygwin1.dll is found.  Get rid of all the duplicates.  Also of note is that
you claim to have installed 1.5.23-2 but your cygcheck suggests otherwise.
All the cygwin1.dlls you have are 1.5.18.  Unless this makes sense to you,
you may be better off cleaning up and starting over.

Holliston, MA 01746