activestate perl on cygwin

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Jan 11 04:57:00 GMT 2007

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
>> > checked activestate. Then I needed some modules, DBD:Orcale to be
>> exact.
>> Maybe you should have looked for DBD::Oracle instead? :-)
> According to ActiveState's website
> (http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.8/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html)
>

> DBD::Oracle Oracle no longer provides the Oracle client libraries for
Apparently somebody didn't get the joke/prod that I was doing based on
the fact that the OP misspelled Oracle as Orcale and mistyped the "::"
as ":"...

And damn I included a smiley...
>> Aside from the grammatical errors my point still stands. AFAIK ppm,
>> ActiveState's module installer, only works in ActiveState and I don't
>> believe that ActiveState works on Linux, Unix and Macs, whereas the
> - - - - - cut - - - - - - -
>
> It looks like PPM3 works with all the OSes that ActiveState releases
> perl for which include Windows, Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, and HP-UX.
Apparently ActiveState has been ported to more platforms than I was
aware of. Still, authors on CPAN, in general, don't know or think about
PPM (AFAICT) and just do things in what they consider the "standard" way
(perl -MCPAN). I guess my point can be boiled down to "Why fight the
trend?". YMMV

That plus that annual subscription fee is way out of my $0.00 software
budget! ;-)
> I am not so sure about PPM2.  It only has instructions for Windows.
>
> Again, we have moved way out of the realm of relevance to cygwin at
> this point.
Yes but it is fun isn't it?

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected the expected.