activestate perl on cygwin

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Jan 12 05:48:00 GMT 2007

Kevin T Cella wrote:
>> Actually, being technical about this and looking at your OP there is
>> no question there at all! Search for it. Look for a question mark.
>> There is none. There is merely the sentence "Please advise" and
>> that's what you got!
> Congratulations! I was wondering when someone would point that out;
> and for the record, "?".
#!
>> "I can't use this pair of pliers to tow this boat. Please advise". -
>> Well how about cha use a tow instead?
> Clever.
Accurate and appropriate too!
> My operating system is Windows and therefore many of my applications
> are only compatible with Windows.
Extremely shorted sighted I might add. I IM'ed recently with a former
colleague of mine, fellow contractor since turned perm. The client, the
largest privately held mortgage company mine you, had invested heavily
in Clearcase and Clearquest software all running on Windows servers.
They insisted up and down that all servers, and clients for that matter,
will be Windows based. Thus the Clearquest team dutifully went off
programming away hooks to Clearquest in Visual Basic. Anyways, my
colleague now informs me that they need to translate all their VB code
over to Perl because Linux is making inroads now. Sure they could and
probably will base it off of ActiveState Perl (indeed Rational's Perl is
based off of ActiveState) but the point of this little story is that you
are short sighted if you believe that the only platform you'll encounter
and thus need to deal with is Windows...
> In order to interact with the application through their SDKs, I need
> to use Win32 modules.
As has been pointed out to you already there is Win32 modules for
Cygwin's Perl.
>> I gave you an answer for your "short term solution". If you insist on
>> using a Windows oriented product such as ActiveState then fire up cmd
>> and type in Windows specific path names to your Windows only
>> ActiveState Perl scripts. Where's the problem?
> I'm lazy, it's inconvenient.
The lazy person will also cite convenience when using a plier as hammer.
Fine. Just don't complain when it doesn't turn out as expected.
> That example I can simply handle in the application, but I mean more
> when I invoke the script. When it is in my $PATH and I type
> myscript.pl, the full path is expanded and passed to the interpreter
> with cygwin style paths.
Although this is thorough off topic, perhaps you can explain it better
to me as I don't use ActiveState therefore I don't see what you are
claiming. Exactly which "full path" is expanded to "what" and passed to
(guess) ActiveState Perl interpreter as, again, what? Is it $0 that you
speak of that may be a Cygwin path? I'm confused however if it is $0
then why couldn't that also be handled in the Perl script?

--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Clones are people two.