Compile-time detection of EOL translation mode (CLISP)

Aaron Brown arundelo@hotmail.com
Wed Jan 31 02:48:00 GMT 2007

Reini Urban (quoting Sam Steingold at the issue tracker
page [1]) wrote:

> The original problem is best solved by a
>   (setq *default-file-encoding* :unix)
> in ~/.clisprc.lisp

As mentioned in an earlier post, that doesn't work for
*standard-output*, presumably because it's already :dos
before .clisprc runs.  It would work if there were a way to
change the external-format of an already-open stream.  Is
there?

Sam also wrote at the issue tracker page [1]:

> note that even the cygwin CLISP is expected to write files
> useful for other (non-cygwin) programs, so the fact that
> they really expect CRLF does matter to us.

Au contraire; speaking for myself, the reason I use Cygwin
is to avoid (as much as possible) dealing with Windows's
non-unixy things such as CRLFs.  If I wanted CLISP to act
like a Windows program rather than a unix program, I would
use a Windows (non-Cygwin) version of it.

By the way, the cited section of the CLISP implementation
notes [2] says that defined(WIN32) is true in Cygwin, but it
isn't.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/3b3yux
[2] http://clisp.podval.org/impnotes/encoding.html#line-term-default

Thanks,