building perl 5.8.8 (was run-time problems with cygwin-1.5.24-2)

Todd Brunhoff toddb@nvr.com
Mon Sep 3 19:00:00 GMT 2007

>     * From: Reini Urban <rurban at x-ray dot at>
>     * Subject: Re: run-time problems with cygwin-1.5.24-2

> Todd Brunhoff schrieb:
>
>     ...In an effort to see what the problem might be, I focussed on
>     perl (although interesting, this info may not be helpful):
>     - I loaded source for perl 5.8.8, ran Configure, but the compile
>     fails because of conflicting vsprintf declarations.
>

> If you follow the directions of the README and download the src
> package you would be able to build your perl.
> A Policy file helps and the correct Configure line is required.
This isn't helpful. You allude to a "correct Configure" line, both
implying that I picked the wrong one, and that you know the right one,
but that I should ask nicely to get it. The README.cygwin says to simply
run Configure, and only makes the suggestion that to accept all the
defaults, -de could be used.  And so... I've attached the output from
"Configure -des" and "make -k".  You'll note that there are three
compile-time errors. I can fix the last one "perlio.c:5059: error:
conflicting types for 'vprintf'" by uncommenting "#define HAS_VPRINTF"
in config.h. Perhaps you could suggest options for Configure that will
fix all the problems. I'd like that.

Thanks in advance,

Todd