Problems with cygwin bash shell under NT Emacs

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Mon Jul 14 17:39:00 GMT 2008

rolf wrote:

[snip]
> Couldn't it be, that the Cygwin port of python has something to do
> with it?

The point was that mixing a "native" application with a Cygwin app is
probably the problem .  Which one has to adapt to the other?

>> You should ask the NTEmacs list, tell them
>> about your TERM and TERMCAP environment strings, those look like the
>> real cause of the problem.
> Thanks for the hint, I'll dig into TERM and TERMCAP

Just for reference, with XEmacs opening a shell:

sh-3.2$ echo $TERM
dumb
sh-3.2$ echo $TERMCAP
emacs:co#79:tc=unknown:
sh-3.2$ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, May 18 2007, 16:56:43)
[GCC 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)] on cygwin
 >>> 2+2
4

sh-3.2$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

> And, it seems I can't find a NTEmacs list alive. Is there one?

I don't know, I don't use it.

>> Cygwin has emacs and XEmacs, both work fine.
> I don't remember why, but my Emacs life started with NTEmacs and I
> haven't bothered to change that. Maybe now is a good time....

Something else, they don't require X Windows (Cygwin/X), the one I use,
XEmacs, runs a GUI with or without X.

But the FAQ seems to endorse NTemacs:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.ntemacs
--