Windows ClearCase [Was: Cygwin Visuals]

gds gds@chartertn.net
Fri May 16 18:27:00 GMT 2008

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Gary Johnson wrote:
>> Are you using ClearCase on Windows, or just ClearCase on Unix? We use
>> both at work. I found that I couldn't execute "cleartool edcs" in rxvt
>> because cleartool apparently requires a Windows Console. The editor
>> (vim) ran fine, but the screen filled with a bunch of garbage when I
>> closed vim. Are you able to run "cleartool edcs" in rxvt or ssh?
> One must remember when using rxvt that it uses ptys. Many Windows
> programs don't understand ptys. Cleartool is one of them. Try just
> typing in cleartool in an rxvt Window. You'll never see the prompt.
> Luckily I, and apparently you, rarely type in cleartool then enter in
> commands. You probably have your ct alias which is common. So then you
> do ct ls or ct lsview or ct checkout or ct co... etc. You then never hit
> the problem with ptys.
>
> ct edcs then introduces the problem because it effectively does:
>
>    $ ct catcs > /tmp/$$
>    $ vim /tmp/$$
>    $ # check that file has changed and offer to setcs
>    $ ct setcs /tmp/$$
>
> So then you could do, roughly, the above (which is what I do) or perhaps
> script it.

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the information. Was wondering
why the ct cmd prompts don't appear in rxvt until after I hit return,
then it's too late (but defaults have been OK so far).

Just thought I would add that I have no problem using gvim as editor
when doing "ct edcs" command in cygwin. However, I realize this violates
the purity of a console only implementation :).