setup.exe 2.573.2.3 signature failure

Fri Jan 16 21:49:00 GMT 2009

George R Nelson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> <reply-to-list-only-lh AT cygwin DOT com> wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<>.  Thanks.

>> George R Nelson wrote:
>>> As a newcomer to cygwin, my attempts to download from ctgwin.com or a
>>> number of mirror sites all failed with signature errors. WHy do I get
>>> this problem? The error I get is:
>>>
>>> Setup.ini signature http://cygwin.com/setup.bz2.sig from
>>> http//cygwin.com failed to verify.
>>>
>>> I have managed to download cygwin using the setup.exe from redhat.
>> So what were you downloading it with before?  'setup.exe' is the
>> prescribed way to download (for installation) and/or install.  If you
>> want a mirror, you want to use another tool but barring that,
>> stick with 'setup.exe'.
>
> I downloaded setup.exe from the cygwin site - my apologies as I
> presumed that was assumed. This failed as described with the signature
> error.

 From <http://cygwin.com/>:

The signature for setup.exe can be used to verify the validity of this
binary using this public key.

Sounds like your download didn't work for some reason.  Try again.

See the link below for background:

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-08/msg00001.html>

I then downloaded setup.exe from the Redhat site and that
> worked on the Redhat site. The setup.exe from Cygwin did not work on
> the Redhat site or any of the mirrors I tried.

Cygwin != Red Hat.  Use Cygwin's site for Cygwin and support from this
site.

> Since I had no idea how
> to select a site from the list of sites I had added, I wasn't able to
> check if the Redhat setup.exe worked on other systems. It was only
> while making this request that it occurred to me that I might be able
> to select one from the list by highlighting it.

 From <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html#setup-mirror>:

Since there is no way of knowing from where you will be downloading Cygwin,
you need to choose at least one mirror site. Cygwin mirrors are
geographically distributed around the world; check the list at
http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html to find one near you. You can select multiple
mirrors by holding down CTRL and clicking on each one.

>>> On a related topic, is there any way to change the URL for the
>>> download? Or do you just add download sites then highlight the one you
>>> wish to use?
>> There are plenty of download sites in the list to choose from.  But if
>> you want another one not listed, you can add it by typing it into the
>> edit control below the list and clicking "Add".  Then you can select it
>> from the list.  You can select up to 4 from the list.
>>

> The setup.exe I downloaded had an empty download list. I added
> cygwin.com and got the error described. I then added a mirror from the
> list on the ctgwin site and that too produced the same error. Likewise
> any mirror I picked from the site displayed the same signature error.
> The Redhat setup.exe had their own site added to the list already.
>
>>> Finally, I am trying to build some C sources using cygwin but the
>>> build fails as it is not finding some libraries: libsocket.a, libnsl.a
>>> and libxnet.a. I've searched both the package lists and the installed
>>> libraries without success. I am sure that the functions defined in
>>> these libraries do exist in the cygwin distribution but may be in
>>> differently named libraries. Can anybody help?
>> Not significantly with that description.  I'd recommend reading the
>> problem reporting guidelines and trying again if you're still having
>> problems.  The guidelines can be found at the link below.
>>

> I have read the submission guidlines and the installation
> documentation as well as searching the FAQ before submitting. I could
> find no details on the steps carried out by setup.exe or any
> explanation of the error I was getting. I have read the relevant
> portions of the user guide and all other links that I could follow
> from the initial description of how to get cygwin but could find
> nothing that described how to select a URL from the list that I had
> created.

See the User's Guide link above.  I think if you read it carefully, it's
pretty clear that you can select from the list of mirrors.  Also, although
'setup.exe' does have a non-standard control for package selection that
has been known to throw some people off, the mirrors list is a standard
Windows list box.  So despite the User's Guide not taking you by the hand
and walking you through the selection of a mirror in the list, generally
speaking I think it's fairly explicit.  I'm guessing that you just glossed
over this part and/or got confused by your attempt to use the 'setup.exe'
you found somewhere on the Red Hat site.

Holliston, MA 01746