gcc-4 is broken on both cygwin-1.5 and cygwin-1.7

Tim Prince TimothyPrince@sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 24 22:49:00 GMT 2009

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> The person who maintains gcc/g++ is ready, willing, and able to fix
> problems.  This content free report does not give him anything to work
> with, however.

make CXX=g++-4 CC=gcc-4 FC=gfortran-4 -f Makefile.gfortran lcd_cfast
lcd_ffast lcd_f90 lcd_cxx

Only the version which uses g++-4 (lcd_cxx) will run on any of my
installations.  The others segfault.  If I relink, using gcc version
4.4.0 20090227, the .o files from gcc-4 run OK.  So I think the problem
is in one of the libraries or collect2 associated with gcc-4.  I have
built many copies of gcc-4 and gcc-5, and the only one this year which
didn't exhibit this problem was the 0227 build.
Why does the crtbegin.o which gcc-4 links say it was built from
cygming-crtbegin.c ?