gcc-4 is broken on both cygwin-1.5 and cygwin-1.7

Wed Jun 24 21:34:00 GMT 2009

On 24/06/2009 13:09, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> It cost me a lot of time but I verified that gcc-4 is malfunctioning
> on both versions.

I think I can safely say that gcc-4.3 is working just fine, having used
it to build hundreds of packages, both C and C++.

> It's impossible to build boost-1.38 or build-1.39, even if you build
> only static libs.

Actually, I think it is boost's fault.  They changed something in
boost-jam's implib generation that broke the build, but I haven't had a
chance to track it down yet.  1.37 builds and AFAICS works fine.

> I had to use the gcc 4 that I had built myself previously on cygwin-1.5
>
> And I think boost is pretty essential.

Your opinion, I suppose.

> Did you patch gcc-4 or something? Whatever it is, I would like an
> unpatched version if possible, as a C++ user. Could you make an
> alternative package please? It must be that auto-import thingie that's
> FUBAR'd.

Of course it is patched; it wouldn't work right on Cygwin if it wasn't
(not that Dave isn't trying to push patches upstream as best possible).

> At any rate, C++/boost users attention: don't use cygwin's own gcc-4
> package, it's badly broken.

Sigh, maybe I should just ITA 1.37 from Ports so people stop complaining
so much about boost.

Yaakov