1.7: cygserver problems under cygwin 1.7

Patrick Aikens paikens@gmail.com
Mon May 4 18:07:00 GMT 2009

I've just installed cygwin 1.7 on a WinXP SP3 machine that used to
have 1.5 installed.  Since I didn't want to run them in parallel,
first I deleted my c:\cygwin folder, then used regedit to get rid of
the "Cygnus Solutions" and "Cygwin" registry keys from HKLM/Software
and HKCU/Software to do as clean an install as possible.

I ran the new setup-1.7.exe and installed the system for "All Users".
I ran cygserver-setup once everything was done, and it reported
success.  When I ran "cygrunsrv -S cygserver", I got the error

cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The service is in a "Start Pending" state for a VERY long time (on the
order of 5 minutes or so), then it silently goes back to "Stopped".

I get this same behavior with "net start cygserver" or by trying to
start it from the Services control panel.

I can't find anything in Event Viewer or in cygserver.log (indeed,
nothing is in there) giving details of the problem, except this entry
in the Application node of the Event Viewer:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( cygserver ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following
information is part of the event: cygserver: PID 4520: starting
service `cygserver' failed: fork: 11, Resource temporarily
unavailable."

running /usr/sbin/cygserver from the command line works just fine.

I HAVE been able to start cygserver successfully a couple of times,
but I couldn't reproduce my successes or narrow down what might have
allowed it to start one time versus the next.  The fact that I can
start it (albeit rarely) makes me think it's not a permissions issue
on /etc/cygserver.conf or /var/log/cygserver.log, but I suppose it
could be.

Output from "cygrunsrv -Q cygserver -V"
Service             : cygserver
Display name        : CYGWIN cygserver
Current State       : Stopped
Command             : /usr/sbin/cygserver
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/cygserver.log
stderr path         : /var/log/cygserver.log
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Automatic
Account             : LocalSystem

--