1.7: cygserver problems under cygwin 1.7

Tue May 5 13:18:00 GMT 2009

On May  4 14:07, Patrick Aikens wrote:
> I've just installed cygwin 1.7 on a WinXP SP3 machine that used to
> have 1.5 installed.  Since I didn't want to run them in parallel,
> first I deleted my c:\cygwin folder, then used regedit to get rid of
> the "Cygnus Solutions" and "Cygwin" registry keys from HKLM/Software
> and HKCU/Software to do as clean an install as possible.
>
> I ran the new setup-1.7.exe and installed the system for "All Users".
> I ran cygserver-setup once everything was done, and it reported
> success.  When I ran "cygrunsrv -S cygserver", I got the error
>
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
> The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
>
> The service is in a "Start Pending" state for a VERY long time (on the
> order of 5 minutes or so), then it silently goes back to "Stopped".
> [...]
>  cygserver: PID 4520: starting
> service `cygserver' failed: fork: 11, Resource temporarily
> unavailable."

Another puzzle :(

The above error message in the event log means cygrunsrv can't fork due
to ... whatever reason.  Typically this occurs when a process has
trouble to duplicate its memory to the forked child process which in
most cases happens because Windows managed to load a DLL in the child
process where the parent had "normal" memory.

The puzzle here is, that cygrunsrv only depends on the cygwin DLL
itself.  This should never result in the aforementioned problem.
And I can't reproduce it on my XP SP3 test machine.

The only reason I can see why this happens would be a BLODA problem as
described in http://cygwin.com/1.7/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

Corinna

Red Hat