locale issue? cygwin 1.7, aspell 0.60, reproducible crash

Josh Berdine jjb@microsoft.com
Thu Sep 10 23:17:00 GMT 2009

"Thrall, Bryan" wrote in message
> Josh Berdine wrote on Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:46 PM:
>> "Thrall, Bryan" wrote in message
>>> Looks like foo.txt has Windows line endings; try running 'd2u
> foo.txt'
>>> and then aspell again.
>>
>> Thanks, but after changing to unix line endings I see the same
> behavior.
>> Same for checking the empty file.
>>
>> Also, /usr/lib/aspell-0.60/ is actually populated with what seem to be
> the
>> correct files, and I have reinstalled the aspell package.
>
> Ah well, the '^M' and the funky "Unhandled error" line wrap pointed at
> the common Windows line endings problem, but it did seem strange that it
> caused aspell to crash. Perhaps the line ending is somewhere else, like
> an aspell configuration file (I don't really know anything about aspell)
> or (going out on a WAG here) LANG, LC_TYPE, or LC_ALL are getting
> Windows line endings in their value (such as if they are set in
> cygwin.bat and it was edited by a Windows text editor)?

Hmm, I don't think that the environment variables have line breaks in them,
since with:

$ echo :$LANG:
:en_US.UTF-8:

the colons are adjacent to the expected value.  FWIW, I set them with the
windows settings dialog.  I don't know about aspell config files, but I
haven't changed any.

Cheers,  Josh