Wish/tcltk & DISPLAY is not set

FyD fyd@u-picardie.fr
Tue Sep 29 19:08:00 GMT 2009

Quoting "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com>:

>>> Do you have the X server running?
>>
>> Yes, I obviously started the X server of Cygwin (- using startxwin.sh)
>
> So you either:
>   A. Didn't set DISPLAY appropriately in the shell you're starting
> 'wish' from.
>   B. Didn't start 'wish' from the 'xterm' that gets started with
> 'startxwin.sh'.

So I should miss something because I think what I did is correct ;-)

- I start cygwin using the icon from the Windows 7 desktop
(bash shell is used; full cygwin install was carried out)

- in my .bashrc I do have:
export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

- the command "echo $DISPLAY" gives in this black terminal:
127.0.0.1:0.0

- I execute startxwin.sh in this black terminal

- from the new xterm opened (white), I execute "wish tmp.tcl"
I get:
/usr/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
/usr/bin/xterm:  DISPLAY is not set

Where is the problem ?

If I execute: export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 in the x-terminal (white)
& run again "wish tmp.tcl", I get the same error message...

Thanks, regards, Francois

PS We are two different persons having this same problem.