Wish/tcltk & DISPLAY is not set

Tue Sep 29 19:38:00 GMT 2009

On 09/29/2009 03:07 PM, FyD wrote:
> Quoting "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin period com>:
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>  Thanks.

<snip>

> So I should miss something because I think what I did is correct ;-)
>
> - I start cygwin using the icon from the Windows 7 desktop
> (bash shell is used; full cygwin install was carried out)
>
> - in my .bashrc I do have:
> export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

This is not required and, in the case of X forwarding using ssh (and
perhaps other cases), this would not be what you want.

> - the command "echo $DISPLAY" gives in this black terminal:
> 127.0.0.1:0.0
>
> - I execute startxwin.sh in this black terminal
>
> - from the new xterm opened (white), I execute "wish tmp.tcl"
> I get:
> /usr/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
> /usr/bin/xterm: DISPLAY is not set
>
> Where is the problem ?

Sorry, I'm not a tcltk expert.  My guess is it has to do with the
fact that Cygwin's tcltk isn't X-based.  As a result, it may be
X-challenged.

Holliston, MA 01746