setup.exe for Cygwin 1.5 doesn't recognise mirror's .ini file

Peter A. Castro doctor@FRUITBAT.ORG
Sat Feb 27 02:06:00 GMT 2010

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, David Antliff wrote:

> Hello,

Greetings, David,

> I have an existing Cygwin-1.5 environment that I use to support my
> development team. I am setting up a virtual machine with Cygwin 1.5 so
> that I can test the upgrade to Cygwin 1.7.
>
> The installation process for my Cygwin 1.5 environment involves
> installing from a previously downloaded and archived "local directory"
> for the most part, but there's one final step where a few final
> packages (like apache2) are downloaded from an Internet mirror.
> However, the setup.exe that I currently have for 1.5 now fails to
> parse the current .ini file it downloads from any mirror - it suggests
> using a newer version of setup.exe. But I cannot find a version of
> setup.exe for Cygwin 1.5, only for the newer Cygwin 1.7, and this one
> will force me to upgrade I believe (unless there's a commandline
> switch I don't know about).

You might have missed the announcement, but Cygwin's current release has
moved to 1.7 and 1.5 is effectively unsupported.  If you really need 1.5,
you can use the setup-legacy.exe (obtained from the cygwin website) and
grab from the release-legacy tree (which is trunced as of mid December of
2009).

Also, if you need some older version of 1.5 packages, there's always the
Cygwin Time Machine. :-)

> This makes me wonder if the official mirrors don't carry Cygwin 1.5
> packages any more. Is this the case? If they do, how can I get hold of
> a correct version of setup.exe that understands the latest version of
> the downloaded ini file but won't upgrade me to Cygwin 1.7?

The mirrors likely do have it, but it will be under the release-legacy
tree and you will need to use the setup-legacy.exe to access it.

> Or am I stuck with a mandatory upgrade to Cygwin 1.7? If that is the
> case, I can't see how I can test the upgrade process, and there's no
> way I can roll out Cygwin 1.7 onto our production servers without
> running it through a test upgrade first. If I can't install Cygwin 1.5
> any more, I can't test this upgrade process. So there must be a way to
> do this and I'm missing something obvious.

There aren't too many issues with upgrading from 1.5 to 1.7, but there's
a few adjustments to be made (such as mounts being maintained in
/etc/fstab instead of the Registry now).  All in all it should be mostly
painless...well, as much as any upgrade it painless :-)

> I understand that my 1.5 installation archive should have contained
> *all* the packages we need, and downloading the latest version of
> apache2 etc is the cause of my problem. However, hindsight is a
> wonderful thing... :)

Yes, it is.  :-)

Try the setup-legacy.exe or even the Time Machine if so needed.

Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>