git-svn hang starting with 20110721 snapshot.

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Wed Aug 3 20:33:00 GMT 2011

> On Aug  3 15:02, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 21:03 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Better drop the large address stuff for now.  Since the heap is now in
>>> the large addres area(*), and since mmaps will go there, too(*), we have
>>> basically a lot more free space in the area up to 0x7fffffff.
>>
>> At this moment, I've got DLLs from 0xf0000000 all the way down to
>> 0xa1740000, and I could easily have more if I installed all of KDE
>> (which I provide in Ports, but I prefer to use GNOME).  So where do you
>> suggest I find that kind of open space in the lower half?
>
> Did you use the current rebaseall?  If so you have a 64K hole between
> each DLL.

Isn't this avoided by passing "-o 0" to the current rebaseall?

> Other than that I don't have an answer for you.  There's only
> so much you can do within the 32 bit address space.  That's only one
> reason why a 64 bit Cygwin would be a good idea.

What was the motivation for putting the heap and mmaps above 0x80000000?
Was there not enough space for them below? Would there be enough space
below if all the DLLs were above?

zeal, n.:
        Quality seen in new graduates -- if you're quick.