vim wraps lines

Jeremy Bopp jeremy@bopp.net
Thu Jan 27 05:48:00 GMT 2011

On 01/26/2011 09:20 PM, Mike Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:12:01PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> On 1/26/2011 12:00 PM, Daniel Ajoy wrote:
>>> I'm using the latest cygwin, min-tty and vim
>>>
>>> But when I open vim, lines seem to wrap. Here is the image:
>>>
>>> http://i.imgur.com/oC8lo.png
>>>
>>> Is that a configuration issue? how do I fix it?
>
> IMHO it isn't broken.  That is the expected behavior.  That is how I use it
> and I want to see all of the line, even if it wraps.
>
> Why don't you want to see all of the line?

Mike, please take another, closer look at the linked image.  It's clear
that what is displayed is the initial text outputted by vim when started
without a file to open and that the display of this text obviously
broken.  While the problem could have been worded differently to avoid
the confusion, the image makes the problem unambiguous.

It's most likely a problem with the TERM setting in use when vim was
started, as Larry asked to clarify.  I think it's also possible that a
non-Cygwin version of vim was actually started under a Cygwin session.
Larry's suggestion to follow the problem reporting guidelines would
likely clarify this point as well.

BTW, if you didn't intend to comment on Larry's reply at all, you should
have replied to Daniel's message instead.

-Jeremy