36 seconds to do /usr/bin/ls, mkdir and other commands

J.V. jvsrvcs@gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 05:51:00 GMT 2011

I install the latest cygwin on Windows XP Pro x32 on a VM under the
latest version of VirtualBox.

When I do anything it takes a long time.

If I do an $ls in a directory it takes 36 seconds or more.

Many other commands take just as long like $mkdir etc.

What is causing this, and how do I fix it?

The host machine is a quad core with 8GB ram, only one VM running at a
time (1GB & 16GB disk with plenty of space).

Everything else is super zippy except for cygwin.

J.V.