GCJ and ECJ

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Apr 4 10:06:00 GMT 2012

Von: David Rothenberger <daveroth@acm.org>
> > I am having trouble finding an ecj.jar eclipse jar file to get GCJ
> going.
>
> Many Cygwin packages come with a README file. As I mentioned
> previously[1], the one you want is /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/gcc4.README.
Not quite the place where a normal user would look for help.
If it were at least in /usr/share/doc/gcj or /usr/share/doc/gcc-java ...

> In that file is a section called "Java users need an additional download
> to compile source to bytecode." that clearly describes what to do.
>
> Specifically, ...
clearly??
The download script also referred to does not exist as you mentioned
yourself.

Von: "Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" <yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net>
> ... Best practice is *not* to bundle code.
>
> > 2) self-hosting. ...
> Now *this* is an issue.  ...
What about doing the download in postinstall?
No co-shipping, no self-hosting, no dangling dependency...
------
Thomas