Problems with nfs

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Apr 24 14:28:00 GMT 2012

> On Apr 24 07:06, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> On 04/24/2012 12:33 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> The problem is that the NFS-server package in Cygwin is orphaned since
>>> the maintainer has moved on.  If somebody is interested to pick up
>>> maintainance of that package, you're welcome.  See
>>> http://cygwin.com/setup.html for more information.  The cygport
>>> packaging method is the preferred packaging method these days.
>> Why don't we have an nfs-client package? Same reason - no
>> maintainer? I would think an nfs-client would be much more useful
>> than an nfs-server package.
> An NFS client is a filesystem driver.  There are companies providing
> such NFS clients, one of them Microsoft with SFU on pre-Vista and the
> NFS client in Vista/W7 Ultimate/Enterprise.
There are companies that provide X servers, putty's a replacement for
Cygwin's ssh, there are various FTP server products, etc. The point is
that having other options (often paid) available has never been a reason
for not having a package.

As for other clients like SFU, I've tried that. It doesn't work. The
problem is the filer at work is configured such that to Windows clients
(SMB) it shares it's shares (home dirs) as FAT (and thus screws up ssh).
The same file system is shared via NFS for Unix clients. But for some
reason SFU will not mount the file system using NFS because (my theory)
it sees that there's an SMB way to mount it so it will not offer the NFS
mount. That's one of the problems I'm trying to solve. My hope was that
with an NFS client in Cygwin it would do the NFS mount.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
The obituaries in the newspaper prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that