Cygwin 1.7.14-2 make/gcc no longer functional on Windows 7 64-bit

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:36:00 GMT 2012

On 5/9/2012 11:59 AM, DAGwyn@aol.com wrote:
> I just installed Cygwin on Windows 7 64-bit, rooted at D:\cygwin, using the
>   latest (1.7.14-2) setup.exe a few hours ago.  In addition to the  default
> packages, I added several others including gcc4, gcc, and GNU  make.  (See
> the attached cygcheck.out for the full list.)  Here is a  portion of a bash
> terminal session:
>
> Douglas@Douglas-PC ~
> $ ls  -bCF  # note that there is no Makefile ...
> bin/ DOTFILES/ gcc-tools/ HG/  lib/ OS/ src/ work/
> cygcheck.out DOTS/ hello.c include/ man/ PROBE.OUT  SX/
>
> Douglas@Douglas-PC ~
> $ make hello.o  # ... so "make" uses its  default definitions and rules
> cc    -c -o hello.o  hello.c
> make: cc: Command not found
> <builtin>: recipe for target  `hello.o' failed
> make: *** [hello.o] Error 127
>
> Douglas@Douglas-PC  ~
> $ gcc-4 -c -o hello.o hello.c  # (get similar behavior from  gcc-3)
> hello.c:1:0: fatal error: canÂ’t open /tmp/ccEwiiBz.s for writing: No  such
> file or directory
> compilation terminated.
>
> Douglas@Douglas-PC  ~
> $ echo foo>  /tmp/bar  # works fine for bash ...
>
> PROBLEM  1:  "make" expects "cc" to exist, and indeed it existed in my
> previous  (August 2011) installation of Cygwin.
>
> PROBLEM 2:  "gcc-4" (also  happens for gcc-3) can't create a writeable file
> in /tmp, but "bash" can.
>
> ADDITIONAL CLUE:  A similar installation on the same system from  August
> 2011 was working fine, until I fetched updates that seemed to break it  (see
> below).  I deleted the entire D:\cygwin folder, icons, etc. and  reinstalled
> Cygwin from scratch, with the above results.
>
> JUST IN CASE:  I recently had a problem with the SONAR component  of Norton
> 360 detecting "suspicious activity" in some executables I had compiled
> under Cygwin. and auto-deleting the executables.  I disabled SONAR checking
> for all of D:\cygwin, then fetched Cygwin updates as reported in  the
> preceding paragraph.  I haven't seen any further warnings from  SONAR, and don't
> think it could explain the reported problems.

start removing this:

2604k 2011/03/29 C:\Windows\SYSTEM\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                   "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2011/3/29 9:10
     Cygwin DLL version info:
         DLL version: 1.7.9
         DLL epoch: 19