'some files vanished' when using rsync over ssh

Gareth Howell gareth@agdon.co.uk
Fri May 18 09:47:00 GMT 2012

Hi
This is a follow on from the question I asked about accessing SMB filesystems via SSH.

The full scenario is that a client is using rsnapshot to back up a load of workstations to a QNAP. The QNAP has rsnapshot installed and most of the Windows targets have cygwin installed. Three very old machines don't have the capability to run cygwin (too little mem and disk space), so I configured another Windows machine to act as a proxy. RSnapshot backs up these machines as extra drives on the proxy, which has them mounted as SMB drives on /mnt

When I log in to the proxy using ssh, I can see all three mounted drives.

When I run rsync over ssh to the proxy and try to back up the drives I get the error

# /opt/bin/rsync -a --delete --numeric-ids --relative --delete-excluded --rsh="/usr/bin/ssh -o BatchMode=yes" login@proxy:/mnt/win98/dir .
file has vanished: "/mnt"
rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24) at main.c(1518) [Receiver=3.0.8]

According to the literature, this error indicates something changed during the rsync session, but I can't see what.

If I ssh into proxy I can see the drives OK

$ mount
C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
//win98/c on /mnt/win98 type vfat (binary,user)
//win95/c on /mnt/win95 type vfat (binary,user)
//ano/c on /mnt/ano type vfat (binary,user)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
E: on /cygdrive/e type iso9660 (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

I can also rsync them to a local rep whilst logged into the proxy.

Gareth