gnome and hicolor exit code 127 for /usr/bin .vs. /bin

Charles millarc@verizon.net
Sun Oct 7 14:19:00 GMT 2012

Marco

On 10/6/2012 3:59 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 10/6/2012 6:27 PM, Charles wrote:
>
> Charles,
>
> first: do not TOP post
> http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html
>
> it is really annoying.
>
>> Marco,
>>
>> I'm not trying to hijack the thread, Please read Brian's October 5, 2012
>> message. Half way through he raises the corrupt perl man pages issue -
>> only it occured at the GA Tech site.
>
> if you prefer, you drifted to an unrelated issue:
> "corrupt perl man" has no relevance with
> "gnome and hicolor exit code 127"
>
> in the first case the package file is damaged, in the second case
> the setup post-installation script is not working as expected.
>

>> In my original message I requested that it be redirected or that someone
>> tell me the proper procedure.
>>
>> I wasn't sure it there may have been a problem that went beyond VA
>> Tech's site.
>>
>> Also, I checked the Cygwin "Reporting Problems" web site and found no
>> mention about contacting mirror site maintainers. Rather the
>> instructions state "If you can't determine if you've discovered a bug .
>> . . send a detailed description . . . to the appropriate mailoing list."
>>
>> Perhaps the "Reporting Problems" needs to be more clear on this.
>>
>> Charlie
>
> More or less this should belong to the Internet FAQ.
>
> Mirror (for most software) are provided by third party not related
> to original developers. They usually mirrors a lot of different
> software and the content is not controlled by the original site.
>
> On the page
> http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/
>
> you will find their contact information, and also the note :
> "We have begun mirroring the Cygwin Project"
>
> So it is likely they have some initial glitch.
>

> Regards
> Marco

First - thank you for the bringing the netiquette breach  to my attention.

Second - I thought that Brian Wilson raised the corrupted perl_manpages
because there was a possibility that those corrupted pages were somehow
relevant to "gnome and hicolor exit code 127". I therefore inartfully
"reposted" my October 1 message concerning the Virginia Tech mirror that
had the same corrupted perl_manpages problem earlier in the week.  I had
absolutely no idea whether "gnome and hicolor"  and "corrupted
perl_manpages" were related, but just wanted to point out the VA problem
just in case they are.

Third - I obviously did not search the correct Virginia Tech site. I
found the Computer Science Dept. site, but not the mirror site.

Thank you for your patience and lessons.

Regards,
Charlie