OpenSSL as Base package

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Tue Dec 16 19:26:00 GMT 2014

On 2014-12-16 11:46, Andrey Repin wrote:

>>> That's likely a bug.
>
>> The openssl package comes with two perl scripts. The dependency
>> gets added automatically.
>
> That's a reoccurring issue with dependency walker. Perhaps, we need a way to
> tell it to not include specific packages as a dependency, if we know it would
> be a mistake to do so? Rather than manually fix it again, and again, and...

Those dependencies are correct; perl scripts require perl to run, and if
you pretend to ignore the dependency, then we end up with complaints
that the scripts won't run.  *That* would be a mistake.

> These Perl scripts are nonessential for OpenSSL functionality, and not
> required to be used, unless you have very specific needs.

Fair enough.  In that case, the correct solution is to create a separate
openssl-perl package with those (like Fedora does), and leave those
outside of Base.

Yaakov