Fwd: Need help port forwarding with ssh and cygwin...

Steven Dennis nzdreamer55@gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 23:50:00 GMT 2014

Hello,

I am having trouble using rsync and ssh from a ubuntu server.  Right
now I have cynwin64 on my windows 8.1 x64 machine.  Right now I have
no problems using the rsync command from my local machine to get files
from the ubuntu server back to my windows machine, however I would
like to have the files "pushed" from my ubuntu machine to my local
machine via an opened port over ssh.

I know the IP address of my computer running cygwin and I have set up
my router to forward a single port and a range of ports to this
machine.  I have also changed the windows firewall settings to allow
stuff in bound for these ports.  I can use my public IP address to
access my router web page so this confirms that I am using the correct
IP address.  I am just not sure if cynwin64 can be used this way.

So here is what I am having trouble with:
I ssh over the typical port (22 I think) into my ubuntu server which
is ~ 4000 miles away and I run the following command

rsync --update --ignore-existing --progress -vure 'ssh -p 29501'
/home/username/downloads/1/ /kira@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/cygdrive/e/1

This usually gives me the following error

rsync: mkdir "/kira@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/cygdrive/e/1" failed: No such file
or directory (2)

Thanks
-S