Clean up /tmp on system reboot [was: Xorg server always starting up on DISPLAY 3.0]

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Thu Apr 9 23:27:00 GMT 2015

Andrew DeFaria writes:
> On 4/9/2015 3:22 PM, Mark Hansen wrote:
> >> Or use cron...
> >
> > How can cron help? You don't want to delete these files while some
> > process may be
> > using them (note: I didn't say while the process has the file open - it
> > may not be
> > open to be valuable). You really need this clean-up done when the
> > machine boots up
> > because you know at that point, all the processes that were using those
> > files are
> > gone.
>
> Somebody hasn't read man 5 crontab, which states:
>
> These special  time  specification  "nicknames"  are  supported,  which
>         replace the 5 initial time and date fields, and are prefixed by
> the ' <at> '
>         character:
>          <at> reboot    :    Run once, at startup.

If you're going to involve cron you probably want to make sure service
dependencies on other Cygwin services are set so they depend on cron.  Just
so their possible use of files in /tmp comes after /tmp has been cleaned.

..mark