Installing sshd with option --type manual

Fran Litterio flitterio@gmail.com
Thu May 4 20:31:00 GMT 2017

On 4/28/2017 11:48 AM, Charles Russell wrote:
> Starting from a default installation of sshd that was working properly,
> I tried uninstalling sshd with cygrunsrv and reinstalling with --type
> manual.
>
> (cygrunsrv --install sshd --path /usr/sbin/sshd.exe --type manual)
>
> After rebooting I cannot start sshd with cygrunsrv.  Instead, I get
> message "Error starting a service: Query service status: Win32 Error 1062"

You can try opening the Services Control Panel app (run "start
services.msc" in a Command Prompt) and changing the startup type of
service "Cygwin sshd" to "Automatic (Delayed Start)".

In theory, that was all you changed with your cygrunsrv command.

> Is it practical to use "--type manual" with sshd, or are its security
> restrictions too tight for this kind of installation? My intent was to
> have sshd off by default, but available when I need it, with current
> status easily seen with ps.

I routinely stop sshd with "net stop sshd" and re-start it later with
"net start sshd".  If it's configure for manual startup, these commands
should work just as well.

 > [...] or should I rerun
 > ssh-host-config?

In cases where I have re-run ssh-host-config, I have first deleted the
service with "sc delete sshd" as Administrator out of a desire not to
confuse the config script with an existing service. But that may not be
necessary.
--
Fran