Installing sshd with option --type manual

Charles Russell worwor@bellsouth.net
Sat May 6 17:28:00 GMT 2017

On 4/28/2017 10:48 AM, Charles Russell wrote:
> Starting from a default installation of sshd that was working properly,
> I tried uninstalling sshd with cygrunsrv and reinstalling with --type
> manual.
>
> (cygrunsrv --install sshd --path /usr/sbin/sshd.exe --type manual)
>
> After rebooting I cannot start sshd with cygrunsrv.  Instead, I get
> message "Error starting a service: Query service status: Win32 Error 1062"
>
> Is it practical to use "--type manual" with sshd, or are its security
> restrictions too tight for this kind of installation? My intent was to
> have sshd off by default, but available when I need it, with current
> status easily seen with ps.
>
> Is there an easy fixup for my broken sshd, or should I rerun
> ssh-host-config?

With no response to this message, I reran ssh-host-config, which fixed
the broken sshd and very kindly did not even require me to re-enter the
pubkeys. It would be nice if it also offered an option for manual start.

Inspecting the ssh-host-config script, I see that installing the server
requires some configuration options that I don't understand. I'm now
using the firewall to disable the server by default, though "net start
sshd" and "net stop sshd" would have been more convenient.