Cygwin 3.0.1-1 Breaks ALL cygwin applications on Windows 7 x64

Jerry Baker via cygwin cygwin@cygwin.com
Wed Feb 27 03:45:00 GMT 2019

On 2/26/2019 7:12 PM, Doug Henderson wrote:
> There is one more place you could have a problem. It does not seem
> likely, but maybe you have a bad download cache area.
>
> When you run setup, on the fourth panel, where it asks for the Local
> Package Directory, you could try deleting that directory. (It must not
> be the same as your cygwin root from the previous panel).
>
> The state of mirrors changes over time. Which mirror(s) are you using
> (selected on the 6th panel)? I have successfully used
> http://mirrors.kernel.org for many years. It's not so important to
> pick a local mirror as it used to be, so I go for reliability (and fat
> pipes), rather than distance to the mirror. (I have a little program
> that times the download of the setup data file from each mirror.)
>
> BTW, what is your DEP setting? Control Panel -> Advanced system
> settings -> advanced tab -> Performance Settings -> Data Execution
> Prevention tab. I am using the top setting (Turn on DEP for essential
> Windows programs and services only) rather than (Turn on DEP for all
> programs ad services except those I select). I'm not sure how Address
> Space Layout Randomisation (ASLR) is managed on Windows 7, but I think
> cygwin exes and dlls get special handling.
>
> HTH
> Doug

Thanks. I did try a couple of mirrors with the same result. I will try
safe mode and a new mirror when the machine is accessible again.

The machine with the problem isn't accessible at the moment, but the
machine where it works has DEP enabled for all programs.