Apparent bug in either (1) Cygwin default Package-list or (2) Package "bzr" dependency-list

Allen Hewes allen@decisiv.com
Mon Jun 22 02:21:34 GMT 2020

Yep, I am in agreement here. I don't understand why Python 2 gets attention from Cygwin maintainers. I have a found a few packages that are "linked" (e.g. they have dependencies on either the Python27 or Python2/Python meta-package), which would explain this to some degree. Usually, it's just a rebuild (e.g. a re-configure) of the depending-ee...

I can't get rid of three Python 2.7 packages: python27, python27-pip, python27-setuptools. I switched over to using alternatives (sometime ago) so that I can "stop" the craziness of the meta-package "python". I don't want Python 2 as my 'python'.

The need to have two Pythons installed at the same time seems to be over. Shouldn't this remove the need to have meta-packages?

Cygiwn isn't alone is keeping Python 2 alive.

/allen

Disclaimer Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, and any attachments and/or documents linked to this email, are intended for the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying is prohibited. This notice serves as a confidentiality marking for the purpose of any confidentiality or nondisclosure agreement. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the original sender.