Apparent bug in either (1) Cygwin default Package-list or (2) Package "bzr" dependency-list

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Jun 24 21:34:14 GMT 2020

On 21/06/2020 17:15, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-06-20 08:41, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 19/06/2020 07:55, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> This analysis is not complete or correct because it doesn't take 'obsoletes:'
>> into account:
>> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=cygwin-apps/calm.git;a=commitdiff;h=d75abceedb46749982669236c5c102796a1fbfb1;hp=f92ad1d5c292ed54e7a62f5c52280efab8267f37
>> It does seem that things aren't working as intended, though.
>
> So does that obsoletes: mean something different than category: _obsoletes,
> which I view as a (Debian-like) virtual package declaration?

There's no need to guess, when the source code is available to inspect.

All the '_obsolete' category (note no 's') does is cause packages to get
hidden by the 'Hide obsolete packages' filter in setup (which is on by
default).

So yes, these are completely different things.

https://cygwin.com/packaging-hint-files.html
https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/setup.ini.html