Apparent bug in either (1) Cygwin default Package-list or (2) Package "bzr" dependency-list

Thu Jun 25 11:53:59 GMT 2020

On 2020-06-24 15:34, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 21/06/2020 17:15, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2020-06-20 08:41, Jon Turney wrote:
>>> On 19/06/2020 07:55, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> This analysis is not complete or correct because it doesn't take 'obsoletes:'
>>> into account:
>>> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=cygwin-apps/calm.git;a=commitdiff;h=d75abceedb46749982669236c5c102796a1fbfb1;hp=f92ad1d5c292ed54e7a62f5c52280efab8267f37
>>>
>>> It does seem that things aren't working as intended, though.
>>
>> So does that obsoletes: mean something different than category: _obsoletes,
>> which I view as a (Debian-like) virtual package declaration?
>
> There's no need to guess, when the source code is available to inspect.
>
> All the '_obsolete' category (note no 's') does is cause packages to get hidden
> by the 'Hide obsolete packages' filter in setup (which is on by default).
>
> So yes, these are completely different things.
>
>> Are obsoletes and pre-depends documented anywhere else (and any other new
>> keywords)?
>
> https://cygwin.com/packaging-hint-files.html
> https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/setup.ini.html

Thanks for the pointers.

In:
https://cygwin.com/git/?p=cygwin-htdocs.git;a=blob;f=packaging-package-files.html;hb=HEAD
below, do you have a current URL for:
https://sourceware.org/viewvc/cygwin-apps/packaging/templates/generic-readme?view=co

 161   <li>In your binary package, you may choose to include a file
 162     /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/foo-vendor-suffix.README containing (at a
minimum) the
 163     information needed for an end user to recreate the package. This includes
 164     CFLAGS settings, configure parameters, etc.  (You can
 165     adapt <a
href="https://sourceware.org/viewvc/cygwin-apps/packaging/templates/generic-readme?view=co">this
 166     generic README</a>.)
 167   </li>

as I have tried some possible alternatives with the same result i.e.
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access
/viewvc/cygwin-apps/packaging/templates/generic-readme on this server.
e.g.
http://sourceware.org/cvsweb.cgi/packaging/templates/generic-readme

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]