sshfs or alike

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Fri May 8 20:24:39 GMT 2020

Greetings, Morten Kjærulff!

>> > As I understand, you can get sshfs to work with cygwin, but you have
>> > to install some non-cygwin tools also.
>>
>> > Can I get sshfs or something like that with only cygwin tools?
>>
>> Adding to the already mentioned points, I should warn you that SSHFS is
>> EXTREMELY SLOW. By design.
>> Enumerating significant amount of files could take minutes. If you can use any
>> other tools (like, OpenVPN + CIFS), it will be hundred if not thousand times
>> faster.

> Would this be cygwin only?

No. Recently I've tried both sshfs/wfsp outlined earlier in the thread and two
native sshfs solutions on the same target system, all exhibit same behavior.

Running "git status" on a project directory takes:

- locally on the host: up to 10s;
- over CIFS share: up to 30s;
- over SMBFS share: up to half an hour(!).

> My server is a z/OS mainframe, where we just installed sshd. Anyone
> have good tips?

You should first think about your needs and use cases. Do you actually need
filesystem features? Or all you need is the ability to copy files to/from the
server?

For SSH, rsync and git both coming to mind.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...