Unix Domain Socket Limitation?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Nov 25 22:27:22 GMT 2020

On 11/25/2020 4:47 PM, Norton Allen wrote:
> In my recent tests, it appears as though it is not possible to successfully
> connect via two Unix Domain sockets from one client application to one server
> application.
>
> Specifically, if I create a server which listens on a Unix Domain socket and a
> client, which attempts to connect() twice, both seem to lock up. This is not the
> behavior under Linux.
>
> I will be happy to work up a minimal example if it is helpful in tracking this
> down. I wanted to start by asking whether this is a known limitation and/or if
> there is something about the Cygwin implementation that makes this sort of thing
> very difficult.

A minimal example would be extremely helpful.

Corinna can answer questions about limitations in the current implementation.
But there is a new implementation under development.  It's in the topic/af_unix
branch of the Cygwin git repository if you're interested in looking at it.

Corinna began working on this a couple years ago, and I've recently been trying
to finish it.  I've made quite a bit of progress, but there's still more to do
and undoubtedly many bugs.  So any test cases you have would be very useful.

Ken