postinstall: fontconfig abnormal exit

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 11:31:22 GMT 2020

On 11.09.2020 10:32, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin wrote:

>>> hmmm.  i don't understand exactly what this thread is about, but i do know that on my latest fresh install of cygwin,
>>> the fontconfig_dtd install is claiming an error at the end.
>>> is this related to that ?
>> Exactly. On first setup and all subsequent updates this post-installation error recurs.
>> The cure described depends on the presence of several files including one that the script creates if necessary.
>>
>> PS Before I enlisted help to cure this glitch "properly", I found it and its recurrence sufficiently intrusive to become an annoyance.
>> Since nothing was obviously broken I guessed that nothing further would be broken by artificially achieving the post-installation
>> sequence as follows:
>> $ mv /etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh /etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh.done

this remove the action, does not solve it

what`s happen if you just run

   /etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh

any error message ?

>> And so it transpired: nothing awful seemed to happen, or fail to happen, as a consequence of this "fix"; and the error msg stopped.
>
> I agree this should be fixed - it is annoying, and I also don't think
> it's a new bug by any stretch: I had this last September when I was
> first looking at getting wxPython to compile in Cygwin.
>
> Also it's, in my opinion, not a great user experience to have end users
> immediately thing something is wrong after the first install. Despite
> the fact that it doesn't seem to matter, it doesn't inspire confidence
> for first-time users. I haven't followed this very closely so I'm aware
> it might be hard to fix, and I very much appreciate all the effort put
> in to Cygwin, but I reckon this one would help a lot with the first
> impressions & attitude of a new Cygwin user.
>
> Hamish

check on /var/log/setup.log.full for any hints on what is going wrong

Installing just base+fontconfig is not providing any error,
so it must be an interaction of fontconfig with some other package