setup-x86_64.exe does not start in win10 20H2

Tue Dec 14 08:09:05 GMT 2021

On 2021-12-13 23:31, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 14.12.2021 07:17, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2021-12-13 16:26, Kutty, Rejeesh wrote:
>>> I uninstalled Beyond Trust with our IT help, rebooted, same behavior.
>>> I then came upon another thread that talks about the compression.
>>> I didn't build it, I just decompressed it and now setup-64bit works
>>> fine.
>>> For some reason, 32bit doesn't have any of this problem.
>>> If it is not too much of trouble, I would request that you provide an
>>> uncompressed version too.
>>> The file size is not that bad, It came to be about 5MB only.
>>> Perhaps, suggest in the installation instructions to try in case it
>>> doesn't launch?

If you have that problem, you have an app in the BLODA.
Are you still running BeyondTrust or another AV?
You need to get Cygwin setup exes using upx bypassed or whitelisted by
your support or the vendor.

>> What was the URL of the thread about compression?
>> Which file did you download about 5MB, from which URL, how did you
>> download and decompress it: using which tools, commands, options, and
>> what were the before and after sizes?
>> There appear to be no Cygwin setup files about 5MB:

> he means 5MB after decompressing the 1.3Mb setup-x86_64.exe
> If I remember right upx is used for setup compression

Why would anyone want or need to do that manually: that implies a badly
written app in the BLODA interfering with decompression, and that hasn't
had any mentions as a problem for a couple of years!