Fortran Installation

Mon Jan 4 06:04:49 GMT 2021

On 2021-01-03 17:29, Lou Umscheid wrote:
> On 1/3/2021 4:03 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Another question, if I may: does your procedure install both Fortran and
>>> Dislin which are installed on the T1600? I do not see them in
>>> cygwin-packages-picked.txt.
>>
>> The Cygwin Fortran package is gcc-fortran (gfortran/f95 symlink): you should
>> see this unless you have been using a proprietary closed source compiler.
>> It looks like Dislin is a proprietary closed source plotting package which you
>> will have to find, acquire, install, and configure separately, or migrate
>> settings from your old system.

> Another concern that just occurred to me is the installation of a BASIC
> Cygwin installation. Does that mean that the files that I have transferred
> from the old system and tuning that I have already done will have to be
> redone? Can I do your cygstart step on my current configuration?
Cygwin customizations should normally be in your Cygwin /home/ directory under
~/.directories.../ and in ~/.dotrc... files.

Copying those over to the equivalent directory, reviewing, and modifying their
settings appropriately if required should keep your new system setup consistent
with your old system.

If you have made any system wide common customizations under /etc/, you can
check changes you may have made to those by running the command below on your
old system:

	$ diff -qr /etc/{defaults/etc/,} | tee ~/etc.log | less

which also saves the results summary, showing settings to be copied or compared
in the file ~/etc.log in your home directory ~/:

* lines in ~/etc.log saying
	"Only in /etc/...: file..."
indicate files that should be copied over from /etc/... on your old system to
/etc/... on your new system;

* lines in ~/etc.log saying
	"Files /etc/defaults/etc/file... and /etc/file... differ"
should be compared individually using commands like e.g.:

	$ diff /etc/{defaults/etc/,}file... | tee ~/file....diff | less

and a decision made whether to:
* keep the customizations by copying the file over from /etc/... on your old
system to /etc/... on your new system,
* update the customizations by changing the file after copying to your new
system, or
* restoring its settings to the original defaults by copying over the defaults
on your new system using a command like e.g.:

	$ cp -fpv /etc/{defaults/etc/,}file...