odd prob for cygwin 'dd' from a character device on network disk

Duncan Roe duncan_roe@optusnet.com.au
Sat Jun 12 01:32:19 GMT 2021

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 08:20:30PM -0700, L A Walsh wrote:
> On 2021/06/09 19:23, Duncan Roe wrote:
> > >
> > nfs / nodev?
> >
> I'm not sure what you mean or are asking.
> I'm not using nfs...but cygwin.
>
> The file 'zero' is in the same dir as the file 'null'.
> I usually read 'zero' and write to 'null, though
> for 1-way testing, I read from file 'zero' on the remote
> file system and write, locally to /dev/null.
>
> For other direction write to 'null' and read from
> /dev/zero locally.

When you said you were accessing zero over the network, you didn't say how so I
suggested if you were using nfs then nodev might be the culprit.

How are you accessing files aver the network?

I suspect that whatever mechanism you are using has the equivalent of the nfs
nodev feature (part of nfsmount, may be specified in fstab) and the nodev
equivalent is turned on in your case.